Box Office Milestone: Universal International Hits $1.8 Billion for Best Year Ever
"Fast & Furious 6" and "Despicable Me 2" helped UPI surpass its 2012 record of $1.794 billion.
Universal Pictures International (UPI) has grossed $1.8 billion at the international box office as of Tuesday, marking its biggest year ever.
The major success of Fast & Furious 6 ($544.4 million) and Despicable Me 2 ($410 million) at the international box office helped catapult the studio to its best year at the foreign box office to date. There were also solid performances from several other films, including Oscar-nominated musical Les Misérables, ($293 million), sci-fi film Oblivion ($197.1 million) and horror pic Mama ($75.9 million).
In 2012, UPI grossed $1.794 billion for the year when it was handling films such as Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, Ted, Battleship and Snow White and the Huntsman.
The high-octane street racing sequel Fast 6 and the minion-starring sequel Despicable Me 2 are currently the year's second and third highest grossing films both internationally and worldwide. Despicable Me 2, starring the voices of Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig, is currently the highest-grossing animated film of the year.
UPI has 14 films still to be released in 2013, including three wide releases. The slate includes teen superhero sequel Kick-Ass 2; romantic comedy About Time; Malcolm D. Lee’s The Best Man follow up, The Best Man Holiday; and action flick 47 Ronin, starring Keanu Reeves.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)