Box Office Report: 'Prometheus' Opening Ahead of 'Snow White' in the U.K.
The Fox tentpole is rolling out in 15 international markets a week ahead of its U.S. opening on June 8.
Ridley Scott's 3D sci-fi tentpole Prometheus is off to a strong start at the international box office, grossing $5.5 million from eight markets on Wednesday and Thursday.
Prometheus has been tracking especially strong in the U.K., where the movie made its world premiere Thursday night.
Prometheus, headlining Noomi Repace and Michael Fassbender, opens June 8 in the U.S. It's debuting in a total of 15 international markets a week ahead of its domestic launch, including France, where it grossed $2.4 million on Wednesday and Thursday (the movie scored the second-biggest opening-day gross of 2012 behind The Avengers for a non-French title).
Opening in Russia on Thursday, Prometheus grossed $2.2 million, the third-highest Fox opening of all time behind the third Ice Age 3 and Avatar. It opened No. 1 in Russia, as well as in Belgium, Holland, Denmark and Switzerland.
In Chile, Prometheus debuted to $70,000 on Thursday, the biggest opening day for a Scott-directed title and bigger than The Hunger Games and MIB3.
Snow White is also opening in 45 international territories; the U.K. is the only market where it goes up against Prometheus.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!