Box Office Report: 'Amazing Spider-Man' Sets Off Holiday Fireworks With $23.3 Million
UPDATED: Sony's reboot has grossed $59.2 million in its first two days of play at the domestic box office and scored the second-best July 4th gross of all time after the first "Transformers."
Marc Webb's 3D superhero tentpole The Amazing Spider-Man earned a stellar $23.3 million at the July 4th box office and is on track to gross $125 million to $140 million during the course of its six-day debut.
Sony's reboot, boosting the standing of rising stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, has taken in $59.2 million in its first two days of play in North America.
Wednesday's gross of $23.4 million was the second-best showing for July 4th after the original Transformers, which grossed $29.1 million on the same Wednesday in 2007. In 2004, Spider-Man 2 earned $22 million on Independence Day.
Costing $220 million to produce, Spider Man is being fueled by good word-of-mouth and strong reviews. The tentpole received an A- CinemaScore and an A from moviegoers younger than 18.
Spider-Man also is being helped at the box office by the upcharge for a 3D ticket and is doing big business in Imax theaters, the favorite venue of fanboys.
Paramount Insurge's concert documentary Katy Perry: Part of Me opens Thursday in North America and should be a big draw for younger females. On Friday, Universal opens Oliver Stone's R-rated crime drama Savages.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game