Box Office Report: 'Bourne Legacy' Hit by Olympics, Drops to $38.1 Mil Opening
Sunday estimates from Universal showed the spy reboot opening to $40.3 million, but the final day of the London Olympics and Closing Ceremony kept many moviegoers at home.
Final box-office figures show Universal's The Bourne Legacy opening to $38.1 million, $2.2 million less than Sunday's estimate of $40.3 million.
The culprit? The final day of the 2012 London Olympics and Sunday night's Closing Ceremony, at least in part. As a result, Sunday moviegoing was down across the board, impacting a number of films.
Bourne Legacy's slide was more than other films, however. It fell more than 30 percent from Saturday to Sunday, compared to the 20 percent drop anticipated by Universal in coming up with the $40.3 million estimate.
Final numbers show Warner Bros.' The Campaign opening to $26.6 million, about $1 million behind Sunday's estimate. The film fell more than 27 percent from Saturday to Sunday, compared to the 25 percent anticipated.
Bourne Legacy is a key test for Universal as it tries to restart its marquee action franchise without Matt Damon. This go-round, Jeremy Renner is the leading man.
Heading into the weekend, Universal predicted an opening in the $40 million range for Bourne Legacy, noting that reboots rarely match the previous titles in the franchise. The Bourne Ultimatum, the previous film in the series, opened just north of $69 million in 2007.
Bourne Legacy cost at least $125 million to produce.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!