Box Office Report: 'Amazing Spider-Man' Beats 'Dark Knight Rises' in China
Marc Webb's reboot grosses $5.5 million, compared to $4.5 million for Christopher Nolan's final Batman pic.
In a superhero showdown, The Amazing Spider-Man beat The Dark Knight Rises as both films opened in China Monday.
From Sony, director Marc Webb's Amazing-Spider Man opened to a stellar $5.5 million. The origins pic has now grossed north of $700 million worldwide, successfully relaunching the marquee franchise.
Christopher Nolan's final Batman pic, from Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment, grossed $4.5 million for a foreign cume of $528.7 million and worldwide total of $951.7.
IMAX theaters in China are playing both films, and took in roughly $1 million on Monday.
Hollywood studios have little control when it comes to release dates in China, which are decided by the government.
The original version of this story incorrectly reported that The Dark Knight Rises beat Amazing Spider-Man.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR