Box Office Report: 'Dark Knight Rises' Dominates Again, 'Total Recall' Soft
Moviegoers give Sony's "Total Recall" remake a problematic C+ CinemaScore; Fox's family entry "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days" earns an A-.
Len Wiseman's Total Recall remake performed on the lower end of expectations at the Friday box office, grossing $9.2 million for a weekend debut in the $25 million to $26 million range.
Total Recall -- headlining Colin Farrell, Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel -- is proving no match for Christopher Nolan's final The Dark Knight Rises, which earned $10.4 million on its third Friday for a projected weekend gross in the $35 million range. Dark Knight Rises' domestic gross is now north of $328 million.
From Sony, Total Recall earned a problematic C+ CinemaScore, which could put a dent on word-of-mouth. The remake, based both on the 1990 Paul Verhoeven film and the short story by Philip K. Dick, cost $125 million to produce, according to the studio.
The weekend's other new entry is Fox's family pic Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. The threequel, costing $22 million to make, came in third on Friday, grossing $5.9 million for a weekend debut in the $16 million to $17 million range.
That's lower than the two previous films in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, but Dog Days is the first to open during summer instead of March. Dog Days earned an A- CinemaScore, same as the first two films in the series.
Fox also took the No. 4 spot on Friday with Ice Age: Continental Drift and No. 5 with troubled R-rated comedy The Watch.
The fourth Ice Age film grossed $2.5 million on its fourth Friday for a domestic total of $126 million. The movie is a massive hit overseas, where it has earned north of $550 million. The previous installment, 2009's Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, is the highest-grossing animated film of all time at the foreign box office with $690.1 million.
The Watch, starring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, Jonah Hill and Richard Ayoade, fell 57 percent on its second Friday to $1.9 million. The pic's domestic cume is $20.9 million.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofía Vergara Reveals Who She Dresses Up For (VIDEO)
- Before The Beat Drops: Heavy English's 'Black Dog' Brings Back Gritty, Bluesy Rock 'N' Roll
- Watch The First Promo For Fox's Controversial New Reality Dating Show 'I Wanna Marry Harry'
- Chelsea Handler Breaks Silence On That Infamous Instagram Photo And Why Network TV Isn't For Her
- Did You Catch the Coen Brothers Easter Egg in Fargo?
- Julie Klausner Talks to Billy Eichner About Billy on the Street, Mayim Bialik, and Getting Fuse to Agree to ‘Ask a Squirter’
- Watch Nick Kroll, Paul Scheer, and NBA Stars Live-Read Space Jam
- Four Scandal Actors Pick Their Characters’ Favorite Monologues