Box Office Report: 'Fright Night' Earns $400K on Thursday Night
Craig Gillespie's 3D vampire pic stars Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin, David Tennant and Toni Collette.
Craig Gillespie’s campy 3D remake Fright Night — starring Colin Farrell, Anton Yelchin and David Tennant — grossed a muted $400,000 in 9 p.m. and midnight shows as it opened at the domestic box office Thursday evening.
However, the performance was in line with expectations, since tracking for the vampire pic has been relatively soft. Disney, which is distributing Fright Night for DreamWorks, is projecting a weekend opening in the low to mid teens.
The film, which is drawing strong reviews, played in roughly 1,700 3D locations Thursday night. The move was designed to bring out diehard fans and build word of mouth. On Friday, it moves into a total of 3,114 theaters, including 2,220 3D runs.
Fright Night also stars Toni Collette and tells the story of a teenager (Yelchin) who discovers a vampire (Farrell) has moved in next door, and enlists the help of a vampire hunter (Tennant).
Fright Night, shot in 3D, is a remake of the 1985 movie of the same name, and cost under $30 million to produce.
Producers are Michael De Luca, Michael J. Gaeta and Alison R. Rosenzweig.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR