Box Office Report: 'Green Lantern' Earns $3.4 Million in Midnight Runs
The 3D superhero pic matched midnight earnings for "X-Men: First Class" and "Thor."
Ryan Reynolds' superhero pic Green Lantern earned a strong $3.4 million in midnight runs for Warner Bros.
Midnight grosses were on par with 20th Century Fox's X-Men: First Class, and slightly better than the $3.3 million grossed by Paramount and Marvel Studios' Thor.
X-Men: First Class opened to $55.1 million, while Thor debuted at $65.7 million (as with Thor, Green Lantern was converted to 3D).
Today, Green Lantern moves into a total of 3,816 theaters, including 2,711 3D locations, after playing in 1,180 midnight runs.
Warners is counting on Green Lantern being a big Father's Day draw.
Green Lantern, based on the D.C. Comics character, is tracking best among males over the age of 25. Younger males are a strong second, followed by younger females who want to see Reynolds in the title role.
Warners has a great deal at stake financially, with Green Lantern costing $200 million to produce. The original budget was $150 million, but special effects and the 3D conversion drove up the pricetag.
Green Lantern will need to do well overseas, where it rolls out in 15 markets this weekend, in addition to a strong domestic run. The good news: 3D is booming internationally.
Directed by Martin Campbell, Green Lantern features Blake Lively as the love interest and also stars Peter Sarsgaard, Tim Robbins and Angela Bassett.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)