Box Office Report: 'Iron Man 3' Scores $13.2 Million Opening Day Overseas
The superhero pic -- returning Robert Downey Jr. in the role of Tony Stark -- officially kicks off the 2013 box office.
Disney and Marvel Studios' Iron Man 3 roared out of the gate at the international box office, opening Wednesday to $13.2 million from a dozen territories on its way to a $110 million-plus foreign debut.
The tentpole, returning Robert Downey Jr. in the title role, earned ahead of Iron Man 2 in Australia and France, grossing $3.4 million and $3 million, respectively, and coming in just behind last year's Marvel blockbuster The Avengers.
Australia marked Marvel's biggest opening day outside of last year's The Avengers, and the third biggest superhero opening behind Avengers and The Dark Knight.
In Italy, Iron Man 3 posted the biggest opening day of the year with $2.1 million. And in the Philippines and Taiwan, the threequel posted the highest opening day of all time with $1.5 million and $1.4 million, respectively.
Iron Man 3 is opening internationally a week ahead of its North American debut May 3, similar to Iron Man 2, which posted a foreign opening of roughly $100 million in 2010.
Disney has high hopes for the threequel -- directed by franchise newcomer Shane Black -- although the studio has yet to resolve a prickly battle with select U.S. theater owners over terms.
On Thursday, Iron Man 3 opens in another raft of territories, and by Sunday, it will be playing in 80 percent of the international marketplace, minus North America, China and Russia.
Disney announced earlier Wednesday that the superhero pic will be released in China on May 3.
Follow on Twitter @PamelaDayM
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game