Box Office Report: 'Paranormal 4' Scares Up $4.5 Mil in Thursday Night Shows
The horror pic, made for a mere $5 million, will reap plenty of profit but might not match the openings of the previous two films in the franchise.
Paramount's microbudgeted Paranormal Activity 4 grossed a solid $4.5 million in Thursday night shows, putting it on course for a debut in the mid-$30 million range. The movie began rolling out at 9 p.m.
At that pace, the sequel won't match the $52.6 million opening of Paranormal Activity 3 a year ago (that film earned $8 million in midnight runs). It still could match the $40.7 million opening of the first sequel two years ago if it overperforms.
Paranormal 4 already appears to be making up the difference overseas, where it opened ahead of the threequel in Australia and German on Thursday.
Studio insiders say there is much more competition in the domestic marketplace this October as a number of films -- including holdovers Taken 2, Argo, Hotel Transylvania and last weekend's horror offering Sinister -- continue to overperform. And there's always the possibility of franchise fatigue.
Paranormal 4 is destined to be profitable, considering it cost only $5 million to make.
The found-footage Paranormal franchise, guided by Paramount and Jason Blum's Blumhouse, has reaped enormous profits for all involved. The first three films, made on a combined shoestring budget of $8 million, have grossed north of $576 million worldwide.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead