Box Office Report: Found-Footage Pic 'Project X' Scores a Stellar $1.2 Mil in Midnight Runs
The Warner Bros. movie is about a group of teens who document a house party gone wrong.
The modestly budgeted Project X got off to a strong start in Thursday midnight runs, earning $1.2 million.
The R-rated comedy, made for $12 million, is expected to open in the midteens, but it could hit $20 million if word-of-mouth is good.
The pic's midnight showing was better than expected. Last year, Kick-Ass earned $1 million in midnight runs on its way to a $19.8 million debut. And Project X wasn't too far behind the $1.4 million grossed by Immortals in midnight runs. That movie debuted to $32.2 million.
Project X, produced by Todd Phillips and Joel Silver, was directed by Nima Nourizadeh from a script Michael Bacall and Matt Drake.
Warners waged a nationwide casting call for the pic, which stars Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Daniel Brown as teens who film a party gone awry.
Also opening nationwide on Friday is Universal's Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, from Illumination Entertainment.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR