Box Office Report: ‘Transformers: Dark of the Moon’ Becomes the Franchise’s Top Earner
The threequel has now grossed $882.4 million globally, including a record-breaking bow in China over the weekend.
Third time’s the charm for Paramount’s Transformers franchise.
Over the weekend, Paramount’s threequel Transformers: Dark of the Moon became the top grossing film in the series, with a worldwide total of $882.4 million through Sunday.
The original Transformers grossed $709.7 million globally, while sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen took in $836.3 million. Dark of the Moon’s performance has no doubt been helped by being the only one of the three to be released in 3D.
Dark of the Moon’s weekend tally included $62 million in foreign grosses—fueled by a $40 million-plus opening in China, the biggest three-day launch of all time for an American film and eclipsing Avatar’s debut by 72%.
All told, Dark of the Moon has now earned $556.6 million at the international box office, becoming the No. 1 release in Paramount International’s history, and easily surpassing the $390.5 million earned overseas by the first Transformers, as well as the $434.2 million grossed by Revenge of the Fallen.
Dark of the Moon has plenty of opportunity to continue growing its foreign booty, considering it doesn’t even open in Japan—its final territory—until this coming Friday.
Like other 2011 summer tentpoles, Dark of the Moon is doing more of its business overseas.
Domestically, Dark of the Moon has now earned $325.8 million, ahead of the $319.2 million grossed by the original Transformers, but well behind the $402.1 million grossed by Revenge of the Fallen.
Not that Dark of the Moon is a slouch domestically—it’s the only release of 2011 to jump the $300 million mark.
Internationally, Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides remains the No. 1 pic of the year, having grossed $791.4 million.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack