Box Office Report: 'Snow White and the Huntsman' Headed for a Bullish $48 Mil-$52 Mil Weekend
The latest retelling of the venerable fairy tale attracted $1.38 million at midnight screenings.
Universal didn’t saturate theaters with midnight screenings of Snow White and the Huntsman, but a sizeable number of fans still sought it out. And based on solid showings at early Friday screenings, it now appears the movie will rack up $17 million-$19 million today and gross a bullish $48 million-$52 million during the course of the weekend.
The latest retelling of the Snow White tale -- turned by director Rupert Sanders and stars Kristen Stewart, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth into an art-directed action pic -- attracted $1.38 million in its initial witching-hour screenings.
That’s less than what Men in Black 3 posted last week at its midnight showings, when it drew $1.55 million. But considering that MIB3 was playing 2,232 theaters, while Snow bowed in just 1,092, it made for a healthier per-theater average. In fact, on a per-theater-average basis, Snow nearly doubled MIB3’s showing.
Universal had carefully downplaying expectations surrounding the PG-13, $170 million feature, setting a weekend domestic target in the low- to mid-$30 million range. But given improving tracking for Snow White during the past few days, competitors expected the film -- the only new wide release hitting theaters this weekend -- to do significantly better than that.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10