Box Office Report Card: The Biggest Flops of Late Summer
An oversized crop of movies falls like leaves as the season turns.
While September brought record grosses of $602.6 million at the North American box office -- fueled by unlikely heroes including The Lion King, Contagion and The Help -- the month was littered with disappointments, following an equally sobering August.
Genre pics, a staple of late summer and early fall, were hardest hit. Some will recoup their costs thanks to foreign presales and international earnings; others won't.
Many box-office observers say there were simply too many films vying for the same moviegoers. Part of the issue is the challenge faced by new midrange distributors in scheduling films -- they don't want to go out in the heat of summer and compete with big-studio fare. That's not to say there weren't big-studio misses, too.
The budget figures listed at right do not include marketing spends, which easily start at $20 million for a wide release in North America.
From Conan the Barbarian to What's Your Number, click through to see just how poorly the late summer's box office disappointments fared.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!