Box Office: 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon' Ups Domestic Take to $64.7 Million
UPDATED: The 3D tentpole has grossed $66 million overseas and is on track to score a $325 million-$350 million worldwide bow.
Paramount’s Transformers: Dark of the Moon grossed roughly $21.5 million at the domestic box office on Thursday, upping its total take to an impressive $64.7 million in its first 48 hours.
Dark of the Moon is on track to gross $165 million through July 4th, by far the biggest debut of the year at the domestic box office. Worldwide, the 3D tentpole is looking at a worldwide opening of $325 million to $350 million. So far, the pic has grossed $66 million overseas for a total $130.7 million.
It isn’t as big as the launch of sequel Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which debuted to $200 million in its first six days, but it’s still a monster number and ahead of the $155.4 million earned by the original Transformers.
In North America, Dark of the Moon is earning the majority of its gross—or 60 percent --from 3D theaters, including 146 Imax locations, which have ponied up a strong $5 million. That’s welcome news for Hollywood, considering the recent downturn in 3D attendance, and comes after Paramount aggressively marketed the 3D element.
On Thursday, Dark of the Moon was down 43 percent from Wednesday, a narrower decline that Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen saw, although that film had a bigger Wednesday.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR