Box Office Report: 'Twilight: Breaking Dawn' Earns $30.3 Mil in Midnight Runs
The Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner starrer rolled out in thousands of theaters at 12:01 a.m. Friday.
Summit Entertainment's The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn-Part 1 grossed $30.3 million in midnight runs as fans rushed to see the second-to-last installment in the blockbuster franchise.
The movie began playing in 3,251 theaters at 12:01 a.m. Friday, before moving into a total of 4,061 locations by mid-morning.
Breaking Dawn narrowly set a new franchise record, coming in slightly ahead of the $30 million earned by The Twilight Saga: Eclipse in midnight runs in summer 2010, and notably ahead of the $26.3 million earned by The Twilight Saga: New Moon two years ago on the same weekend.
Until Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 came along this summer, the last two Twilight pics set records for best midnight performance. This summer, Deathly Hallows earned a massive $43.6 million in midnight grosses. Breaking Dawn now stands at No. 2 in terms of all-time midnight best.
The movie's midnight performance suggests it will have no problems matching, or even besting, the $142.8 million debut of New Moon.
Starring Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner, Breaking Dawn was directed by Bill Condon.
As of Thursday, Breaking Dawn had already earned $8.9 million from a handful of foreign markets.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR