The Boxer Behind Hollywood
He makes a million each time Manny Pacquiao fights, once told Mickey Rourke he'd "knock him the f-- out," and now, battling Parkinson's, legend Freddie Roach steps into the ring for an HBO series.
You can hear the Wild Card Boxing Club before you see it -- the thwap-thwap of gloves hitting heavy bags, the guttural grunts and the rhythmic whoosh of jump-ropes behind a row of second-floor windows. The cramped, stuffy gym is tucked above a Laundromat on Vine Street, as anonymous as the rest of the businesses in this dingy Hollywood strip mall -- the Thai restaurant, the massage parlor whose venetian blinds are always closed, the Alcoholics Anonymous outpost.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR