Boyle, Daldry to oversee Olympic ceremonies
Mark Fisher, Hamish Hamilton, Catherine Ugwu also involved
LONDON -- Oscar winning-director Danny Boyle will be artistic director for the opening ceremony of the 2012 London Olympic Games, organizers said Thursday.
Boyle described the gig as a "unique opportunity to contribute to what I'm sure are going to be a fantastic Games."
Boyle is in good company, with British helmer Stephen Daldry one of four other creatives hired by 2012 organizers to oversee the Olympic and Paralympic Games' opening and closing ceremonies.
Beijing Olympics designer Mark Fisher, TV director Hamish Hamilton and producer Catherine Ugwu will also be part of the team.
"Myself and my co-executive producers will ensure there is creative continuity across all four ceremonies, that the public have real engagement and that we continue to attract into key roles the best talent in the world," said Daldry.
London organizing committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games chairman Sebastian Coe said the talent chosen can "hold their own on the worldwide stage."
Boyle was linked to take up the role earlier this month and has been in demand since "Slumdog Millionaire" scored him an Oscar and is currently in postproduction with "127 Hours," his mountain climbing drama starring James Franco.
3 Mills Studios in East London will be the production center for the 2012 London ceremonies.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'