Bradley Cooper Pleads Case for 'Great Gatsby' Role
The "Limitless" star says he would love to play Tom Buchanan in Baz Luhrmann's upcoming adaptation.
Bradley Cooper has a request for director Baz Luhrmann: cast him in The Great Gatsby.
In an interview with the New York Times, the Hangover actor expressed his enthusiasm for the role of Tom Buchanan, the cocky, wealthy husband of Gatsby's love interest, Daisy.
"To me, he's the best character in the book. He's so complicated," Cooper explained. "He's xenophobic, he's an alcoholic, but he also understands some profound stuff about class. Whoever plays it has to take a gentle hand, because it could so easily be stock, where he’s a rich jerk you don’t identify with at all."
Luhrmann's adaptation of the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby and Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan.
Cooper admitted he has no idea whether he's being considered for a part in the film.
"I don't even know if I'm on Lurhmann's radar," he said. "Maybe he'll read this article after the role's cast and say, 'Oh. Ha. Yeah, that guy was never going to get it.' "
The Great Gatsby is currently filming in 3D in Sydney and is set for a 2012 release.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR