Brazilian Filmmaker Eduardo Coutinho Dies at 80
The renowned documentary filmmaker was knifed at his home in Rio de Janeiro; police holds his son as a main suspect.
BUENOS AIRES – Legendary Brazilian documentary filmmaker Eduardo Coutinho has been murdered in Rio de Janeiro. Local network Globo News reported the filmmaker's son Daniel Coutinho -- who suffers from schizophrenia, local police reports indicate -- is a prime suspect for the murder and is currently in custody.
According to Folha de Sao Paulo, the son also injured his father’s wife Maria Oliveira Coutinho while attempting to kill her, and later tried to commit suicide. Both have been admitted to the Miguel Couto City Hospital in Gavea. Coutinho’s wife condition remains serious, according to Terra Brasil.
The 81 year-old director of Edificio Master and Songs was considered to be one of the finest documentary filmmakers in Brazil, and was invited to become a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences last June.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama