Brett Ratner Partners With Australian Billionaire for Film Venture (Exclusive)
RatPac Entertainment will be a joint venture between the U.S. director and Aussie mogul James Packer.
Australian billionaire James Packer is entering the film business, partnering with director Brett Ratner to form RatPac Entertainment.
Packer -- who is the chairman of Crown Limited, a massive resort and entertainment group Down Under -- is backing the company, which will develop, produce and finance films. His father was the late Australian media mogul Kerry Packer.
RatPac plans not only to produce and finance independent films but aims to partner with studios to co-finance tentpole-type projects.
The duo have zeroed in on two undisclosed projects that will be co-financed.
“We intend to build a major independent film company that not only has the ability to fully finance its films but which also offers creative independence for its filmmakers," Ratner tells The Hollywood Reporter in a statement.
Ratner is producing Horrible Bosses 2 and the animated Hong Kong Phooey, which has Eddie Murphy attached to star. He also is prepping his next directorial project, Hercules, which is an MGM and Paramount co-production that has Dwayne Johnson attached.
This is not the first time that Packer habs been involved in the film biz. He and his father, the late media mogul Kerry Packer, ran entertainment concern Publishing and Broadcasting Limited which had a 25% stake in New Regency for many years.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!