Brian Grazer Buys a Murakami via Instagram
The super-producer and art fan tells THR he commented on an anime-inspired painting on the artist's photo feed, and secured the work.
This story first appeared in the Nov. 15 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
Japanese artist Takashi Murakami's paintings easily can sell in the high six figures, but apparently it's possible to pick one up online as well.
"I just bought a Murakami on Instagram," producer and art collector Brian Grazer told THR at the LACMA Art+Film Gala on Nov. 2. Grazer, after seeing the bright, anime-inspired painting on the artist's photo feed in October, posted, "Can I buy this please?" under comments.
Murakami ("I know him," said Grazer) typed back a heart and smiley-face symbol, and the painting was Grazer's.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Week’s Best Game of Thrones Reader Comments: ‘The Lion and the Rose’
- Douglas Coupland on Being a Visual Artist, the ‘Torture’ of Interviews, and Unintended Side Effects
- Alan Thicke on His New Reality Sitcom and Being ‘Considerably More Boring Than Jason Seaver’
- 6 Forgotten Teen Films of the Late ’90s and Early ’00s