'Bridesmaids' Passes 'Sex and the City' to Become Top R-Rated Female Comedy Ever
Judd Apatow’s sleeper hit starring Kristen Wiig has earned $152.9 million domestically.
Universal’s sleeper hit Bridesmaids has become the top R-rated female comedy of all time, surpassing Sex and the City.
Through Sunday, the movie’s domestic cume was $152.9 million; Sex and the City earned $152.6 million.
Bridesmaids should end Monday -- the July 4th holiday -- with a domestic total of $153.7 million.
Universal touted other milestones, saying Bridesmaids is now the studio’s biggest romantic comedy ever, as well as the seventh best romantic comedy of all time, according to tracking service Cinesys. Bridesmaids isn't a traditional romantic comedy, although the girl gets the boy in the end.
It’s also the top-grossing film ever for producer and director Judd Apatow, beating Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, which cumed $148.2 million, and Knocked Up, which earned $148.8 million domestically.
Apatow directed and produced Knocked Up, while producing Bridesmaids and Talladega Nights.
Bridesmaids stars Kristin Wiig -- who co-wrote the script with Annie Mumolo -- Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Ellie Kemper and Wendi McLendon-Covey.
The film is a big victory for Universal, which has been on a winning streak at the box office after a long lull.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game