Regulator Censures ITV for 'Britain's Got Talent' Striptease
The network "clearly crossed the line” by airing a burlesque performance on a companion show for the Simon Cowell series at a time when kids were likely to watch, Ofcom said.
LONDON – British TV regulator Ofcom on Monday censured ITV for airing a striptease on a companion show of Simon Cowell's Britain's Got Talent at a time when children were likely to watch.
The burlesque performance on ITV2's Britain’s Got More Talent “clearly crossed the line” and failed to protect kids, breaking the U.K. broadcasting code, it said.
The show featured 90 seconds of a female candidate performing a striptease to Jungle Book song The Bare Necessities, "removing her dress and shaking her naked bottom at the audience." The regulator said the show included five scenes that gave "particular focus" to her bottom.
The episode in question aired in April at 8:35 p.m., before the so-called 9 p.m. "watershed" for more risque content. It was re-aired three times in pre-watershed slots, Ofcom said.
ITV in a submission to Ofcom had said that its decision to also show "the teasing removal of her gloves" tipped off audiences that the candidate would take off more clothes. It also highlighted that the performer's body was pixelated. However, the regulator ruled that this was “of limited effectiveness and did not sufficiently obscure the performer’s naked buttocks."
Overall, Ofcom ruled that ITV did not take "adequate steps" to limit the nudity. "The frequency and detail of these images in context of a striptease in a burlesque act meant that on balance they were not suitable for children," it said.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay