'The Hunger Games' Cuts 7 Seconds of Footage to Secure PG-13 Rating in U.K.
British censors demanded Lionsgate UK shaves or substitute bloody footage.
LONDON – British censors have demanded seven seconds of cuts from The Hunger Games to give it the equivalent of a PG-13 rating, known in the U.K. as a 12A rating.
According to the British Board of Film Classification -- dubbed the British censor by the media -- the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson would have received a 15 certificate without the cuts. But British distributor Lionsgate UK made the changes, which included ironing out four scenes of violence and one showing details of injuries. Some or all of the cuts were substitutions concerning blood, the BBFC said.
The certificate is good news for Lionsgate UK in terms of opening up the movie to a larger potential moviegoing public. The 12A rating is equivalent to a PG-13 rating in the U.S., but it signifies that 12-year-olds rather than 13-year-olds can go to a film without parental supervision.
Hunger Games will be released March 23 with the consumer advice tag, “Contains intense threat, moderate violence and occasional gory moments.”
Stateside, the film secured a PG-13 for “intense violent thematic material and disturbing images – all involving teens.”
Directed by Gary Ross, Hunger Games is the much-anticipated big-screen adaptation of Suzanne Collins’ novel -- the first in a trilogy – about a group of teenagers in a postapocalyptic society struggling to survive a life-or-death televised game show where only one can live.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"