British Television Race Reality: All-White Village Dramas Are Common
Brian True-May was suspended for saying multi-cultural characters would look "out of place" in ITV’s "Midsomer Murders,” but his words point to a normally unspoken rule in similar programs.
LONDON - Midsomer Murders creator Brian True-May has been suspended after claiming that the show's success was down to its all-white cast. But the cosy whodunnit series - now in season 14 - is just one in a long line of ITV1 dramas that hark to a bygone era of all-white Englishness despite their contemporary setting.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR