Broadcast Film Critics Association To Honor Forest Whitaker
At the group's Critics' Choice Awards, a special award also will be given to Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke.
The Broadcast Film Critics Association will honor Forest Whitaker with the Joel Siegel Award, to be presented to him by Oprah Winfrey, his co-star in Lee Daniels’ The Butler, at the 19 ath annual Critics’ Choice Movie Awards, which will take place Jan. 16.
Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke and Richard Linklater, the filmmaking team behind Before Midnight, will receive this year’s Critics’ Choice Louis XIII Genius Award at the ceremony, which will take place at the Barker Hanger in Santa Monica and which will be broadcast live by The CW.
The Joel Siegel Award is a special honor given by the BFCA in the name of Good Morning, America film critic and founding BFCA member Joel Siegel, who died of cancer in June, 2007. The award spotlights the leadership role stars undertake to help solve the world’s most pressing problems. Previous recipients include Sean Penn, Matt Damon and Don Cheadle.
Whitaker, an Oscar winner for The Last King of Scotland, founded the Whitaker Peace and Development Initiative, dedicated to helping people affected by violence regardless of age, gender, nationality or faith, in 2012.
Matthew McConaughey, who starred in Linkater’s 1993 film Dazed and Confused, will present the Genius Award to Linklater, ]Delpy and Hawke. Given last year to Judd Apatow, the award recognizes “an unprecedented demonstration of excellence in the cinematic arts.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)