Berlin 2013: 'The Broken Circle Breakdown' Sells Globally
Felix van Groeningen’s drama won both the Europa Cinemas award and the Panorama Audience Award in Berlin.
BERLIN -- The Match Factory has notched several major territory deals for Felix van Groeningen’s The Broken Circle Breakdown, one of this year's Berlin Film Festival's true crowd-pleasers.
The drama has sold to more than 20 territories including Germany (Pandora Film), Switzerland (Filmcoopi), France (Bodega), Australia/New Zealand (EOne), Greece (Seven Films), Poland (Against Gravity), Ex-Yugoslavia (Demiurg), Sweden (Njutafilms), and South Korea (SY Comad).
The drama focuses on the love story between two very different people -- one a religious realist, the other a romantic atheist -- whose love and faith is tested when their daughter is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
It has proved a hit with critics -- the Europa Cinemas group of art house cinema owners gave it its best European film honor -- as well as audiences. Berlin viewers voted it the best fiction film in the Panorama section of the Berlinale last week.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Seth Meyers To Host 2014 Emmy Awards On August 25
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services