Bruce Willis Receives Highest French Cultural Honor
While promoting "A Good Day to Die Hard" in Paris, the star was named a Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters.
While in Paris to promote the upcoming release of A Good Day to Die Hard, star Bruce Willis was presented with the highest culture award in France, the Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters, in an evening ceremony here.
Culture Minister Aurelie Filippetti said the medal was to honor his contribution to film over the past thirty years.
“It is an honor, a real honor, to be here,” said Willis. “To get this very high honor for the commanders, I couldn’t be more pleased.”
Filippetti praised his famous Die Hard character as a “reluctant hero,” and cited his diverse body of work including Moonrise Kingdom, Pulp Fiction and Unbreakable. “He knows to sometimes leave his ‘tough guy’ costume and return to work with amazing filmmakers,” she said about his work with directors Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino and M. Night Shayamalan.
“I always feel at home when I’m in Paris and when I’m in France. I feel very comfortable here and always look forward to coming back,” added Willis.
Willis has also been in the news here for his support of the French vodka company Belvedere’s financial restructuring. As the face of the company’s Sobieski label, he holds 3 percent of the company and would see his interest reduced in the deal, but told newspaper Le Figaro that he supports the plan to protect the 3,650 jobs that would be in jeopardy. Shareholders vote Feb. 12 , though Willis said Monday he does not plan on attending the meeting in person.
A Good Day to Die Hard will be released Feb. 20 in France.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack