Brush Fire Raged on PCH in Pacific Palisades
UPDATED: The blaze burned a stretch of coastline near Santa Monica that is close to many Hollywood stars' homes, including those of Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Larry David.
A brush fire blazed its way down the Pacific Coast Highway between Malibu and Santa Monica, according to fire officials.
The fire was first reported at 3.08 p.m. local time on Tuesday and quickly engulfed 10 acres of the expensive coastline, threatening million-dollar homes and halting traffic on the busy coastal road in the Pacific Palisades.
Northbound lanes of the highway in the 14800 block of the PCH were closed as more than 150 firefighters battled the blaze, which fire officials classified as a "major emergency brush fire," reported NBC Los Angeles.
By 4.50 p.m., most of the active flames had been put out but some hotspots were still being controlled and the road remained closed well into the evening.
The fire was sparked in an area of the Palisades called The Huntington, which is home to famous residents including Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Larry David and Stevie Nicks.
Bordered by Chautauqua Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Corona del Mar and Alma Real, the pocket's homes sit high on bluffs and most have full ocean views. The stunning area has seen one of the most dramatic rises in real estate prices in recent years, with many mansions topping $15 million.
Video footage of the raging fire revealed black smoke billowing above the picturesque roadway as the flames crept toward the mountains. Three city helicopter crews, one county helicopter crew and water-dropping aircrafts joined forces to contain the blaze amid fears that strong Santa Ana winds of five to 10 miles per hour could cause it to spread.
There have been no injuries or evacuations reported. The cause of the fire is being investigated.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game