BSkyB commissions first 3D production
'Flying Monsters 3D' to be presented by David Attenborough
LONDON -- BSkyB is going prehistoric in preparation for the launch its first 3D channel later this year, announcing Tuesday a groundbreaking 3D film to be produced by Atlantic Productions and written and presented by iconic natural history veteran presenter David Attenborough.
Sky will premiere "Flying Monsters 3D" on its own premium Sky 3D channel later this year and will seek theatrical and IMAX release around the world for the movie.
The film will bring alive the world of the pterosaurs -- flying vertebrates with a wingspan of up to 45 feet that lived 200 million years ago -- using cutting-edge 3D TV technology to bring the prehistoric world alive.
Commissioned for Sky 3D by Celia Taylor, Sky's head of factual and features, "Monsters" will be exec produced by Anthony Geffen, CEO of Atlantic Productions.
BSkyB is launching Europe's first 3D TV channel later this month in pubs and clubs where its soccer is viewed, and later this year to Sky's 2 million HD customers, who will be able to view 3D through their existing TV set.
"This project demonstrates Sky's ambitious vision for marrying high quality content with world-leading innovation," said Brian Lenz, director of TV product development for BSkyB. "3D is set to be one of the most exciting developments in TV for years, and outstanding content such as 'Flying Monsters 3D' will truly bring the experience to life."
For Attenborough, the U.K.'s best-known natural history presenter who has worked with the BBC for much of the past five decades, the project will be the first time the host of such shows as "Life on Earth" and "The Life of Mammals" has worked with Sky.
"Having learnt my television skills in the days of black and white, and been involved with the introduction of color, I'm thrilled to be part of one of the first 3D television projects," the naturalist said.
"3D is a wonderful way of seeing the world as the pterosaurs did, and it's to Sky's credit that they've taken on the challenge to be the first to broadcast in 3D."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!