BSkyB Makes Additional $1.9 Million Investment in Roku
The move follows an investment of $10 million last year in the U.S. and European TV streaming platform.
U.K.-based satellite TV company BSkyB has made an additional $1.9 million equity investment in Roku, a leading platform which delivers over-the-top (OTT) services via its low-cost streaming devices. This follows an investment of $10 million made by BSkyB in July 2012, to provide financing for Roku's operations and activities.
Roku announced a $45 million funding round last July, gleaned from News Corp., BSkyB and previous investors Menlo Ventures and Globespan Capital Partners. The money was to drive its brand awareness and global growth.
News Corp. owns a 39 percent stake in BSkyB.
Launched in 2008, Roku is a U.S.-based TV streaming platform, which made its debut in Europe last year in the U.K. and Ireland. Roku currently features more than 300 channels in the U.K./Ireland, including on-demand films and programs from Netflix, as well as BBC iPlayer.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!