Bubba Smith Memorabilia up for Online Auction
The late football star and “Police Academy” actor died in early August from acute drug intoxication.
Select items from the late Bubba Smith’s estate, including a Bronko Nagurski Legends Award and an NFL Pro Bowl Golden Helmet, are now available to the highest bidder online.
In an auction running through Tuesday, Nov. 8, fans and collectors can browse through a series of players cards, signed checks, photographs, awards and even his U.S. passport. The former football player and comedic actor died Aug. 3 in his Baldwin Hills home. Autopsy results revealed a high level of phentermine – a weight loss drug – in his system at the time of death.
“The auction house met twice with Bubba before he died,” Sam Heller, a publicist for Nate D. Sanders Auctions, told the L.A. Times. “He was looking to auction off his memorabilia.” The auction is scheduled to end at 8 p.m. on Tuesday.
The 6-foot-7 Smith was a defensive lineman and future College Football Hall of Famer at the university, then played nine seasons in the pros with the Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers from 1967-76. In Hollywood, he appeared in Police Academy, Good Times, Charlie's Angels and Half Nelson, as well as memorable commercials for Miller Lite.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10