'Buckwild' Dead: MTV Refuses to Allow Producers to Shop Canceled Series
It's the end of the line for MTV's Buckwild.
The hit reality series, which was canceled last week in the wake of star Shain Gandee's death, will not be shopped to other networks, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.
The development is somewhat unexpected because producer J.P. Williams told THR when the show was canceled April 9 that he would try to extricate the property from MTV and bring it to another network. Williams, who also manages most of the show's cast members, now says there was interest from other cable networks but MTV's top execs Van Toffler and Susanne Daniels refused to let the property go. He's upset by the decision.
"MTV is the most hypocritical network out there," Williams says. "Van and Susanne can keep promoting pre-martial sex and promoting leaving the baby after you have it [on Teen Mom]. I'm so glad they have found their moral bar."
MTV reps declined a request for comment.
Viacom-owned MTV aired the first season of Buckwild to ratings success this winter and was about halfway through filming season two when Gandee, 21, was found dead April 1 in his vehicle with his uncle and a friend. The trio died of carbon monoxide poisoning after their vehicle became stuck during an off-roading "mudding" excursion in rural West Virginia.
MTV, which controls rights to the show, was negotiating with Williams about the possibility of allowing producers to take the series elsewhere. But a source says those talks broke down on Friday.
Allowing Buckwild to potentially succeed on another network might have been embarrassing for MTV, even if a deal could be worked out that allowed the network to share in revenue from the show.
Email: Matthew.Belloni@thr.com, Lacey.Rose@thr.com
Twitter: @THRMattBelloni, @LaceyVRose