'Buckwild' Star Shain Gandee: Sheriff Says Carbon Monoxide Reports 'Not Irresponsible'
Speculation has surfaced regarding the reality star's cause of death after images of his vehicle, which had been submerged in mud, appeared online.
While the public awaits an official cause of death in the case of Buckwild star Shain Gandee, a representative for the sheriff's department in Kanawha County in West Virgnina tells The Hollywood Reporter that speculation of carbon monoxide poisoning is "not irresponsible."
Reports surfaced Monday that the 21-year-old, who was found dead in his vehicle earlier that day along with two others, may have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The evidence: photos of his red Ford Bronco, which appeared to have been submerged in mud all the way up to the window.
"It's not irresponsible of you to speculate that," says Dan Humphries, spokesman for the sheriff's department, acknowledging that carbon monoxide poisoning is a significant possibility. "But we're waiting on the coroner's report," he adds.
Meanwhile, MTV is putting the brakes on any decision-making regarding the upcoming second season of its hit series. Producer J.P. Williams tells THR that production has been suspended but the fate of the series will not be decided for a couple weeks.
Gandee was reported missing over the weekend, having last been seen at 3 a.m. Sunday at a local bar. Along with his uncle and friend, Gandee reportedly told bar patrons that he was going off-roading (or as it is called on the show, "mudding"). News of his death broke Monday.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR