'Buff' Tops Easter Weekend in Hong Kong
Local favorite "Buf"' draws in audience against 'Mirror, Mirror', 'Titanic 3D' and 'The Hunger Games'
HONG KONG – Local crowd pleaser Love in the Buff continues to steam ahead during Easter in Hong Kong, topping the box office chart through the four-day public holidays from April 6 through 9, besting Mirror, Mirror, distributed by Intercontinental Films, and Fox’s Titanic 3D, both released just before the break.
The Pang Ho-cheung directed comedy from Media Asia took HK$6.6 million during the four-day weekend, adding up to a total of HK$22.4 million since its March 29 release.
The Julia Roberts fairy tale update Mirror, Mirror came in second with HK$3.95 million, while James Cameron’s 3D version of his 1997 megahit came neck to neck with HK$3.87 million, according to the Hong Kong Motion Picture Industry Association.
U.S. March blockbuster Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, which opened the same week as Love in the Buff, took HK$2.7 million, just a few dollars more than The Hunger Games. The worldwide box office mammoth and cultural phenomenon, which opened on March 22, has accumulated a HK$17 million gross.
The total box office take during the four-day Easter holiday in 2012 marked a 10.6 percent rise from the same period in 2011, from HK$24.2 million to HK$26.7 million. The 2011 Easter holiday box office was dominated by the erotica-in-stereoscopic 3D, Sex and Zen 3D, which went on to take a total of HK$41 million during its four-month run. The film’s success was partly attributed to the enthusiastic support from tourists from China, where the film was not released.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)