Bunim/Murray's Gil Goldschein Wants More 'Gossip Girl,' Less 'Grey's Anatomy'
The production company's president looks to push the reality powerhouse into different corners of the TV biz.
Bunim/Murray Productions president Gil Goldschein, 38, has been rising through the company's ranks since 2001. In early 2010, the lawyer by training was instrumental in negotiating the acquisition of BMP by French production company Banijay. Now, he's looking to push the reality powerhouse into different corners of the TV biz.
Scripted : "We wouldn't do NCIS, CSI or even Grey's Anatomy," says Goldschein, who suggests The CW's Gossip Girl is the type of younger, femme-skewing show Bunim/Murray might attempt. The company also is prepping History Of, a scripted series featuring Jim Henson puppets re-enacting pop-culture events.
Male: BMP is branching out into more masculine reality territory: Goldschein is readying Lawlis, which follows duck gunner David Lawlis and others who make 50 percent of their annual income during the 60-day duck-hunting season.
Kids: "You look at all of these reality shows, but there aren't a ton out there geared toward kids," he says of the 7-14 demo that BMP has grown serious about in the past year. Of appeal: developing for such networks as Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon or the Disney Channel.
Digital: Also intriguing to BMP, says Goldschein, are opportunities with Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. In 2011, BMP teamed with EA and GameSpot to launch a digital competition series, The Controller, pegged to the Battlefield 3 video game launch. With Olympic gold medalist Jonny Moseley as host, the series paired elite gamers with amateurs for a chance to win $50,000.
International: Since the Banijay deal was struck in 2010, Goldschein has been preparing more globally minded formats with sister companies in Denmark and Finland, respectively: Tempted, which navigates the ethical minefield of good versus individual gain; and Faces, which challenges people's ability to never forget a face.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!