The Business of Playboy Enterprises
The $207 million empire includes everything from its storied mansion to a film festival.
MOST VALUABLE: The Mansion
Built in 1927, the Playboy Mansion sits on more than 5 acres east of UCLA. Playboy's 2009 annual report valued it at about $1.2 million; a 2011 lawsuit estimates its worth at $54 million; and two realtors say it could go for up to $100 million.
With nearly 200 producer credits in 40 years, Hefner has made an indelible mark on the industry. From 2005 to 2010, Hef appeared in the wildly successful E! reality series The Girls Next Door (which averaged 1 million-plus viewers).
Even with circulation down nearly 80 percent from its heyday in the early 1970s (from 7 million to 1.5 million today), Playboy continues to flourish internationally -- currently the magazine can be found in more than 30 countries.
Playboy.com sees approximately 5.7 million unique monthly visitors and 45 million page views (the most traffic of all online Playboy properties, including e-commerce sites Playboystore.com and Shopthebunny.com).
Bunny-branding is as synonymous with Playboy as the magazine itself. Everything from apparel and furniture to nightclubs and even the venerable jazz festival have been emblazoned with the infamous logo, causing some consumer burnout.
Hefner ardently supports First Amendment rights: The Playboy Foundation has donated more than $20 million to nonprofits and funded films like the doc Freeheld; a Bombay Sapphire-sponsored short film contest promotes freedom of expression.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Addresses Sexual Abuse Allegations: They Are 'Outrageous' & 'Completely False'
- Elizabeth Banks Attends Screening for 'Walk of Shame', Wears Two Dresses!
- 'Jem & the Holograms' Leading Cast Revealed: Aubrey Peeples, Stefanie Scott, & More!
- Novak Djokovic Expecting First Child with Fiancee Jelena Ristic!