'Bwakaw' Selected as Philippines' Oscar Entry
The Jun Robles Lana-directed drama-comedy premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival.
HONG KONG – Director Jun Robles Lana’s recent Toronto entry Bwakaw has been selected to represent the Philippines in the best foreign language film category at the 85th Academy Awards.
The film is repped internationally by Fortissimo Films.
The Film Academy of the Philippines announced the selection of the drama-comedy, which stars 83-year-old Filipino action star and comedian Eddie Garcia -- affectionately known as Manoy or “elder brother” in his native country -- as a gay man who came out of the closet at 70.
Bwakaw was released in the Philippines on Sept. 5 after making its domestic debut at the country’s Cinemalaya Film Festival in July, and made its international premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival under the Contemporary World Cinema Section.
Written and directed by Jun Robles Lana (Yesterday Today Tomorrow), the film will also be featured at the New York Film Festival later this month.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR