Cable Operator J:COM Defies Economy to Maintain Subscriber Growth
Japan's Biggest MSO Also Sells More Telecom and Net Bundles
TOKYO – Jupiter Telecom (J:COM), the country’s biggest cable and multi-systems operator, has continued to add subscribers despite the tough economic conditions, signing up 205,000 in the year to October, to take total cable customers to 2,865,000.
The healthy 7.7 percent growth in J:COM’s cable subscribers was outpaced by the growth in internet and telephone services, which increased 7.9 percent and 12.5 percent, respectively. The continued expansion in all three services gave J:COM a total of 6,844,800 RGU (revenue generating units), up 9.2 percent on last year.
Liberty Global sold its 37.8 percent stake in J:COM to telecoms company KDDI for $4 billion last year, setting off a tussle for control with Sumitomo, a major trading firm and founder of J:COM. The three companies eventually came to an agreement on an alliance intended to develop synergies between their overlapping telecoms, cable, contents and advertising businesses.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!