Vanity Fair Took Extreme Security Measures to Protect Caitlyn Jenner's Big Reveal (Report)
A spokesperson said the magazine beefed up security and confiscated cell phones for the private cover shoot.
It took way more than lights, cameras and photographer Annie Leibovitz for Caitlyn Jenner's exclusive Vanity Fair cover shoot to come together without springing a leak on the Internet.
A spokesperson for the publication told Mashable that the shoot — Jenner's first public reveal as a woman — was the result of months of negotiations and planning to make sure the bombshell photos remained tightly under wraps, a considerable undertaking in the digital age.
For starters, strict security measures were enforced for the private photo shoot at Jenner's Malibu home: Cell phones were confiscated on set to prevent any photos from leaking before they went live Monday morning. According to the report, the heavy security also extended to Vanity Fair's offices, where the cover story and photos were prepared on a computer that was unplugged from the Internet.
All content was then transferred to a thumb drive and deleted from the computer each night until the full spread was ready to be hand-delivered to a printer.
The publication had been in talks with Jenner about the shoot since January, five months before the cover preview debuted online June 1. According to a VF spokesperson, Jenner wasn't compensated for the exclusive, though she received an outpouring of love and congratulatory messages from Hollywood stars following her public reveal.
The full interview and photos will be released when the July issue of Vanity Fair hits newsstands June 9.