Cameron: 'Avatar's' Blu-ray presales strong
Director expects release to drive sales of players, discs
James Cameron said Tuesday that presales for the April 22 home video release of "Avatar" are mirroring what happened in theaters, where audiences paid extra for 3D presentations.
During a media event at a West Hollywood mansion, the "Avatar" director said presales of the higher-quality Blu-ray Disc version have consumers "choosing a premium experience in the home, just as they did in theaters." The pic will only be available in the 2D version for the April and November video releases.
Cameron said he expects Fox Home Entertainment's worldwide release of "Avatar" on Earth Day to drive sales of Blu-ray players and discs much in the way the pic convinced filmgoers to pay extra for 3D and pushed theater owners to upgrade their movie houses.
Fox also announced a tie-in with the environmental group Earth Day Network, which will plant 1 million trees in 15 countries with the studio's support.
Cameron told about 100 journalists in attendance that he has long been an environmentalist, but after writing and directing "Avatar" he is "taking it to a whole other level."
He said he hopes the home video release will allow more children to see history's top-grossing film and that they will become "warriors for our planet, or else it's not going to survive."
"Avatar" producer Jon Landau also was on hand. Fox will follow the April 22 release with a more expansive set in November and a 3D version next year.
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's Mary Daily, left, and Simon Swart; director James Cameron; producer Jon Landau; 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment's Mike Dunn; and Earth Day Network president Kathleen Rogers at "Avatar" Global Media Day (Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!