Canada's Empire Theaters Takes Imax Screens to Alberta, Ontario Multiplexes
The Canadian cinema chain has ordered another two giant venues for Edmonton and Kingston to show supersized versions of Hollywood movies at premium ticket prices.
BANFF, ALBERTA – Imax Corp. has sold another two giant movie screens in its own backyard, this time to Empire Theaters.
The Nova Scotia-based Canadian cinema chain has acquired two more large format theaters from Imax, the first to open in Kingston, Ontario, in December 2012 and the second in Edmonton, Alberta, in May 2013.
The latest deal brings the number of Imax screens scheduled to open in the Empire Theaters circuit to seven, and the number of giant screen theaters to open in Canada to 34.
“With today's announcement, we're building on our success with Imax and look forward to offering audiences in Kingston and Edmonton a movie-going experience unlike anything they've experienced before,” Dean Leland, vp of media and studio relations at Empire Theaters, said Tuesday.
Empire operates 51 movie screens nationwide.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game