Canada's DHX Media Inks Digital Distribution Deal With Hoopla
The kids TV producer becomes the latest Canadian player aiming to drive VOD revenue higher by lining up deals with Netflix, Hulu and other emerging online platforms.
TORONTO – DHX Media on Tuesday unveiled a VOD deal with U.S. digital platform Hoopla as it becomes the latest Canadian indie producer aiming to raise big dollars from digital distribution.
The three-year deal, to see Hoopa air 1300 episodes of DHX Media’s kids TV content, including series like Inspector Gadget, Busyworld of Richard Scarry, Caillou and Madeline, follows earlier digital supply deals with Amazon’s European digital media subsidiary LOVEFiLM, blinkbox, Dailymotion and Wananchi.
"We are firmly committed to seeking opportunities with new platforms, and this is a significant deal for us as Hoopla has a key audience across North America,” Josh Scherba, senior vp of distribution at DHX Media, said Tuesday in a statement.
To drive new digital deals, the producer recently acquired Care Bears owner Cookie Jar Entertainment for $112 million.
That deal expanded DHX Media’s library by around 6,000 half hours of classic animation programming.
Having built up a strong kids production business, often through international co-productions, DHX Media is looking to exploit Cookie Jar’s growing global distribution business.
Rival Canadian producers like Lionsgate and Entertainment One are similarly aiming to drive their digital and VOD revenue higher by signing deals with Netflix, Hulu and other emerging online platforms.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)