Canada's DHX Media Inks Digital Distribution Deal With Hoopla
The kids TV producer becomes the latest Canadian player aiming to drive VOD revenue higher by lining up deals with Netflix, Hulu and other emerging online platforms.
TORONTO – DHX Media on Tuesday unveiled a VOD deal with U.S. digital platform Hoopla as it becomes the latest Canadian indie producer aiming to raise big dollars from digital distribution.
The three-year deal, to see Hoopa air 1300 episodes of DHX Media’s kids TV content, including series like Inspector Gadget, Busyworld of Richard Scarry, Caillou and Madeline, follows earlier digital supply deals with Amazon’s European digital media subsidiary LOVEFiLM, blinkbox, Dailymotion and Wananchi.
"We are firmly committed to seeking opportunities with new platforms, and this is a significant deal for us as Hoopla has a key audience across North America,” Josh Scherba, senior vp of distribution at DHX Media, said Tuesday in a statement.
To drive new digital deals, the producer recently acquired Care Bears owner Cookie Jar Entertainment for $112 million.
That deal expanded DHX Media’s library by around 6,000 half hours of classic animation programming.
Having built up a strong kids production business, often through international co-productions, DHX Media is looking to exploit Cookie Jar’s growing global distribution business.
Rival Canadian producers like Lionsgate and Entertainment One are similarly aiming to drive their digital and VOD revenue higher by signing deals with Netflix, Hulu and other emerging online platforms.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'