Canada's Telus, BCE in merger talks
TORONTO -- Telus Corp., Canada's second-largest phone company, said Thursday that it is holding merger talks with rival BCE Inc.
Vancouver-based Telus billed the nonexclusive talks with BCE as a made-in-Canada bid to ensure that U.S. private equity players like Kohlberg Kravis Roberts, Providence Equity Partners or Cerberus Capital Management do not secure control of the country's largest phone company during a pending auction.
"(A Telus-BCE merger) would be an all-Canadian solution for both immediate and long-term value creation, whilst ensuring a vibrant player continues in this increasingly competitive industry," Telus president and CEO Darren Entwistle said in a statement.
BCE has been pursued since April by consortiums mostly comprising Canadian and U.S. private equity players. These include privatization bids from the Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec, the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Canadian leverage buyout giant Onex Corp. and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts.
Other bidders include two consortiums led respectively by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan, BCE's largest shareholder, and New York-based Cerberus Capital Management.
Telus argued that allowing it to merge with BCE will create a domestic phone giant with a market value of about CAN$53 billion ($49.5 billion) would be "the most likely strategic alternative to preserve long-term Canadian control if foreign ownership restrictions are removed."
Ottawa is considering easing, or lifting altogether, foreign ownership restrictions on domestic phone and cable giants to enable them to secure more growth capital.
Formal bids for BCE are expected to be placed on the table by early next week.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack