Canada's TV Awards Step Into Toronto International Film Festival Spotlight
The "2011 Gemini Awards" are scheduled to air on the CBC on September 7, a day before the buzz-worthy Toronto film festival launches.
TORONTO – Canada’s TV awards are looking to boost ratings by bumping up against the Toronto International Film Festival.
The Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television, which organizes the Gemini Awards to honor homegrown TV, has scheduled the 26th edition for Wednesday, September 7, a day before the paparazzi-heavy Toronto film festival launches its 2011 edition on September 8.
The Geminis, which are generally ignored by Canadians that favor U.S. network shows in primetime, were last held on Saturday, November 13, 2010 on Global Television.
The 26th Geminis will also eschew tradition and go mid-week.
And the Canadian TV kudosfest will air live from the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.'s Toronto headquarters on Front Street, across the street from Roy Thomson Hall, ground zero for the Toronto film festival.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR