Canadian Nets Add Reruns, Repeat and Live Hockey Games During NHL Lockout
As the pro hockey league cancels the first two weeks of the regular season, the CBC will push the limits of nostalgia by airing classic match-ups on "Hockey Night in Canada."
TORONTO – The National Hockey League management lockout has sent the CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada telecast to reruns.
Or more precisely repeats of classic NHL games of yesteryear, as decided by Canadian hockey fans voting online.
With the pro hockey league having cancelled the first two weeks of the regular season from October 11, the first “You Pick” HNIC game will air on October 13 at 8 p.m.
“While we continue to hope for a timely resolution to the lockout, we want to ensure that fans across the country can still watch the game they love,” Julie Bristow, executive director, studio and unscripted programming, English Service, at the CBC, said as the pubcaster looks to preserve its Hockey Night in Canada audience, and ad revenue, during the NHL lockout.
But a CBC pushing the limits of NHL nostalgia will have competition from live TV hockey games on a rival network on Saturday nights during the current work stoppage.
Cable sports channel Sportsnet on Thursday said it will give fans facing NHL withdrawal a live hockey fix of American Hockey League games on Saturday night, starting October 13 with the Rochester Americans playing the Toronto Marlies.
Sportsnet will follow that up on October 20 with a double-header, and air Canadian Hockey League games on Friday night.
And CTV, Canada’s top-rated network, earlier said it would help despondent hockey fans get over the loss of Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night by airing that evening a two-hour block of The Big Bang Theory.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'