Canadian Pol Slams Punk Album That Mocks Jesus Christ As a Turd
Heritage minister James Moore criticizes a taxpayer-subsidized punk album, entitled "Holy Shit," whose lyrics and liner notes mock Christians and Jesus Christ.
TORONTO – Canadian cultural czar James Moore has blown a fuse over taxpayer dollars subsidizing a Vancouver punk album entitled "Holy Shit" that mocks Jesus Christ as a giant piece of turd.
Vancouver punk band Living with Lions released the album Tuesday in the North American market with liner notes that thanked Canadian Heritage, the federal department responsible for arts and entertainment, for helping underwrite the music album through FACTOR, a government foundation to encourage Canadian music.
The offending Canadian punk album is subtitled "The Poo Testament," and in its packaging, designed to appear like a faded Bible, portrays Jesus Christ as a giant turd wrapped in a white sheet.
Moore, the Canadian Heritage minister in Ottawa with the ruling Conservative party, who also represents a suburban Vancouver riding in the federal Parliament, through a spokesman slammed the Holy Shit album as punk culture mocking Christians.
“The content of this CD is offensive and the fact that it is clearly designed to offend a group of Canadians based on their faith is simply wrong," Moore spokesman James Maunder told the Vancouver Sun newspaper in a statement.
"The minister has called Duncan McKie, president and CEO of FACTOR, to express his profound disappointment with this content,” the ministerial aide added.
The L.A. Weekly magazine first flagged the offending liner notes that accompany the Holy Shit album, prompting the Canadian government to distance itself from its public subsidies for the punk band and its latest release.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!