Canadian TV to Poke Fun at U.S. With 'America, Eh!' (Exclusive)
The cross-platform project will feature homegrown comics and screenwriters amusing Canadians at the expense of their southern neighbors.
VANCOUVER -- Canadian TV is getting serious about making fun of Americans.
Indie producer Insight Productions has launched a cross-platform project, America, Eh!, to get top Canadian comedy writers and performers poking fun at their southern neighbors.
"Nobody is more equipped or better at making fun of Americans than Canadians," said Insight chairman and CEO John Brunton on Monday.
"Our friends to the south are a constant source of inspiration, especially for comedy, and we know they can take it because they just keep on doing it!" he added.
America, Eh! will live online, include mobile and social media content, and be anchored by one-hour series yet to find a broadcaster.
The comedy project also will piggyback on Canadian strengths like sketch comedy, satirical news desk reports, slapstick and other local comedy tropes.
The project recalls Talking to Americans, a CBC one-hour special where This Hour Has 22 Minutes’ Rick Mercer interviewed Americans on the street to betray their ignorance of Canada.
Insight is best known for its reality format adaptations like Big Brother Canada and The Amazing Race Canada.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David