Cannes 2012: Sundance Selects Takes U.S. Rights to Competition Film 'Like Someone in Love'
The movie is from former Palme d'Or winner Abbas Kiarostami, whose film "Certified Copy" the company also distributed.
Sundance Selects said Sunday that it is taking U.S. rights to Cannes Film Festival Competition entry Like Someone in Love, directed and written by former Palme d'Or winner Abbas Kiarostami (Certified Copy, The Taste of Cherry).
The film, an MK2 and Eurospace Production, stars Rin Takanashi, Tadashi Okuno and Ryo Kase and made its world premiere at the festival earlier in the week.
The film is about an old man and a young woman who meet in Tokyo. She knows nothing about him, while he thinks he knows her and welcomes her into his home. "Soon it becomes apparent that the web that is woven between them in the space of 24 hours bears no relation to the circumstance of their encounter," according to a description of the film.
"It's a great honor to continue our relationship with Abbas Kiarostami after our successful collaboration with him on Certified Copy," said Jonathan Sehring, president of Sundance Selects/IFC Films. "His latest film is a beautiful, mysterious masterpiece that we hope to continue to build his following with in the U.S."
IFC Films/Sundance Selects recently also acquired Walter Salles' On the Road, another MK2 production and Cannes Competition entry.
IFC Films/Sundance Selects is part of cable networks operator AMC Networks. Sundance Selects, established in 2009, focuses on the distribution of prestige films, particularly American independents, documentaries and world cinema.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10